general discussion?

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:05 pm

/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

ooh my area of expertise (by that i mean something anime/manga related, not that i stare at ecchi all day)

ecchi is essentially softcore anime porn, but as a genre it refers more towards nudity used for humor
hentai on the other hand is essentially all other forms of anime pornography

Note: both ecchi and hentai translate to "pervert", but ecchi is moreso slang

i don't quite understand why /e/ and /h/ are separate, but i guess people have their biases and as such the boards aren't combined.

(sorry for not being able to come online recently, i've been busy and will be for another week or so)
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:09 pm

/mlp/ Rep wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/out/ Representative wrote:
/b/ rep wrote:I have decided that 4chan needs a history board, what do you all think?

It could be addressed and I am not against it however It might not generate enough traffic. I am speaking from the perspective of a board that was set up as a containment board itself (/k/ innawoods). Similar ideas I have heard on 4chan and from some users here are /cel/ or a celebrities board to remove some cancer from /tv/, and /phl/ or a philosophy board to contain up the circle jerks on /lit/. I would love a /prp/ /svl/ prep or survival boards but they would not generate enough traffic to justify their creation. The user base for 4chan is constantly changing with new users and the site will reflect this in time. I am not purposely trying to shoot down the idea, and in truth I like it, I am just thinking of traffic and revenue for the site.  


I think we're in agreement on the creation of a fetish board, though. Either /fur/, or /r34/ or something along those lines, because weird porn is the only thing that remains consistent over time.
Well, weird porn and cancer.
An /r34/ could work for weird porn and fur porn.
They would just have specific threads like
"Weird porn thread?", "Clop thread" "furry thread anyone?"
Whatever can work, as long as it would be related to animated or related to a comic/cartoon/game.

some of this weird porn stuff (albeit in anime form) is on /d/ (alternative hentai)
its weird, i don't understand it, but i guess everyone has their cuppa tea
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /soc/ rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 pm

/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.
avatar
/soc/ rep

Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/soc/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /o/ Rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:27 pm

/a/ wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

ooh my area of expertise (by that i mean something anime/manga related, not that i stare at ecchi all day)

ecchi is essentially softcore anime porn, but as a genre it refers more towards nudity used for humor
hentai on the other hand is essentially all other forms of anime pornography

Note: both ecchi and hentai translate to "pervert", but ecchi is moreso slang

i don't quite understand why /e/ and /h/ are separate, but i guess people have their biases and as such the boards aren't combined.

(sorry for not being able to come online recently, i've been busy and will be for another week or so)
Don't worry about it man. We all have lives. That being said I might not be online on Friday (jury duty after work) or Saturday (family reunion).
avatar
/o/ Rep

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/o/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:30 pm

/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /soc/ rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:38 pm

/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Not to be harsh, and I'm sure separating their preferences matters a lot to them, but if we have to deal with seeing furry threads all day, then I think they could survive seeing a little hardcore anime porn mixed in with their softcore anime porn every now and then.
avatar
/soc/ rep

Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/soc/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:54 pm

/soc/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Not to be harsh, and I'm sure separating their preferences matters a lot to them, but if we have to deal with seeing furry threads all day, then I think they could survive seeing a little hardcore anime porn mixed in with their softcore anime porn every now and then.

don't get me wrong, i totally think its weird how there are 5 boards entirely dedicated to anime porn while there are only 3 for real-life porn
however, i think that some of them really can't be merged, and it would be pretty unfair to merge ALL of them. /e/ and /h/ could be merged, but /d/ really cant be merged with anything and /u/ and /y/ being merged would be pretty awkward

everyone has their own preferences, and i think those should be respected, but not so much that its way over the other boards.
pic related: (maybe strange but still SFW)
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /soc/ rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:52 pm

/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Not to be harsh, and I'm sure separating their preferences matters a lot to them, but if we have to deal with seeing furry threads all day, then I think they could survive seeing a little hardcore anime porn mixed in with their softcore anime porn every now and then.

don't get me wrong, i totally think its weird how there are 5 boards entirely dedicated to anime porn while there are only 3 for real-life porn
however, i think that some of them really can't be merged, and it would be pretty unfair to merge ALL of them. /e/ and /h/ could be merged, but /d/ really cant be merged with anything and /u/ and /y/ being merged would be pretty awkward

everyone has their own preferences, and i think those should be respected, but not so much that its way over the other boards.
pic related: (maybe strange but still SFW)

You're the general anime expert, so I'll trust your opinion on this and let you make the judgement call, however I do think that maybe one or two boards could be merged.
avatar
/soc/ rep

Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/soc/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /c/ rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:27 pm

/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Well on the topic of board reduction, I'll be completely honest, there is way to many anime boards. It's not as if I despise them or anything, quite the contrary- there is just too many that all do essentially the same thing. I've always thought that /e/, /h/, /d/, /u/ and /y/ should combine into a general /h/. /a/ and /c/ should just combine into /a/ since /c/ is essentially the same thing but with image threads instead of discussion threads.

On top of that, I can't imagine why /w/ and /wg/ are separate considering it's really just the same thing and they frequently leak into each other.

Also can someone explain why /v/ and /vg/ are separate boards?
avatar
/c/ rep

Posts : 30
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /soc/ rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:29 pm

/c/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Well on the topic of board reduction, I'll be completely honest, there is way to many anime boards. It's not as if I despise them or anything, quite the contrary- there is just too many that all do essentially the same thing. I've always thought that /e/, /h/, /d/, /u/ and /y/ should combine into a general /h/. /a/ and /c/ should just combine into /a/ since /c/ is essentially the same thing but with image threads instead of discussion threads.

On top of that, I can't imagine why /w/ and /wg/ are separate considering it's really just the same thing and they frequently leak into each other.

Also can someone explain why /v/ and /vg/ are separate boards?

Yeah, I think this is worth considering. If moot doesn't want to create new boards, then why not reduce them by combining the similar ones?
avatar
/soc/ rep

Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/soc/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /o/ Rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:52 pm

/c/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Well on the topic of board reduction, I'll be completely honest, there is way to many anime boards. It's not as if I despise them or anything, quite the contrary- there is just too many that all do essentially the same thing. I've always thought that /e/, /h/, /d/, /u/ and /y/ should combine into a general /h/. /a/ and /c/ should just combine into /a/ since /c/ is essentially the same thing but with image threads instead of discussion threads.

On top of that, I can't imagine why /w/ and /wg/ are separate considering it's really just the same thing and they frequently leak into each other.

Also can someone explain why /v/ and /vg/ are separate boards?
/vg/ exists for actual discussion of videogames. Hence why there are a shit-ton of [insert game here] generals. Pretty much what happened was people on /v/ were getting pissy because the first couple pages were [insert game here] generals. So they complained and moot made /vg/ for actual discussion of videogames. /v/ is for the general talk of videogames.
avatar
/o/ Rep

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/o/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /sp/ found a way on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Wow that's nitpicky of /v/.
avatar
/sp/ found a way

Posts : 96
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/sp/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /soc/ rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:10 pm

/sp/ found a way wrote:Wow that's nitpicky of /v/.

Yeah, moot will pander to petty complaints like that, but won't keep the fur away from where it doesn't belong.
avatar
/soc/ rep

Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/soc/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:22 pm

/soc/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Not to be harsh, and I'm sure separating their preferences matters a lot to them, but if we have to deal with seeing furry threads all day, then I think they could survive seeing a little hardcore anime porn mixed in with their softcore anime porn every now and then.

don't get me wrong, i totally think its weird how there are 5 boards entirely dedicated to anime porn while there are only 3 for real-life porn
however, i think that some of them really can't be merged, and it would be pretty unfair to merge ALL of them. /e/ and /h/ could be merged, but /d/ really cant be merged with anything and /u/ and /y/ being merged would be pretty awkward

everyone has their own preferences, and i think those should be respected, but not so much that its way over the other boards.
pic related: (maybe strange but still SFW)

You're the general anime expert, so I'll trust your opinion on this and let you make the judgement call, however I do think that maybe one or two boards could be merged.

i certainly think that /e/ and /h/ can be merged, but think of it this way: softcore and hardcore people can get along, but /d/ is essentially those strange paraphilias that you try to avoid seeing unless its your thing. /u/ and /y/ are lesbian and gay, so the demographics really clash (lesbians and straight men vs gays and straight women)

the most important thing to consider is really the demographics. /e/ and /h/ are pretty much universal to people who like anime porn, but /b/ is specialized and /u/ and /y/ are also specialized in such a way that merging any would invite strife

one way to think of it is like this:
you have 4 boards:
the microsoft board,
the linux board,
the apple board,
and the android board.
someone, at first glance, would say "they're all computer boards, merge 'em" and get confused when they bicker
but in reality, while they're computer boards, they all have very different demographics and only a few could be merged (android and microsoft or linux)

i think merging /e/ and /h/ would be pretty safe, because the main difference is the presence of a penis in the pictures: /h/ has them, while /e/ doesn't

merging /u/ and the mix /e/h/ would be possible, but its a bit strange saying "hey lesbians, you can come back, but you homosexual men? stay out," so i'd say stick with /u/, /y/, and /d/, while merging /e/ and /h/
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:43 pm

so basically what i'm getting at is that its more important to consider the demographics the boards are made for than their topics.

/w/ and /wg/ are similar in topic but the citizens of /w/ probably visit /a/ way more than those of /wg/ do (and while a lot of people from /w/ may visit /wg/ as well, many from /wg/ who may not like anime might not visit /w/ at all)

/vg/ and /v/ probably have pretty similar purposes and demographics, but as /o/ said, people who went on /v/ for general discussion probably get really annoyed when people discuss a specific game on there all the time, and the whole board is filled with nothing they want.

keeping boards separate has some upsides, mainly:
      +people that visit the board for one express purpose don't get bothered by people who
                post other things, while people who visit the board for multiple purposes can
                simply visit both threads.
the downsides, however, are:
      -it clutters the top of the screen,
      -makes it harder for newcomers,
      -splits up fanbases a lot

ANALOGY TIME WITH /A/
(I like analogies)

like blood types, Board A (blood type A) works with demographics (person with blood type) A and AB, but not with demographic B, while Board B works with demographics B and AB. however, board AB only works with demographic AB.

Blood type (Board) A is rejected by body (demographic) B
Blood type (Board) B is rejected by body (demographic) A
Blood type (Board) AB is rejected by bodies (demographics) A and B

because O blood in this case is literally /b/, which isn't desirable for getting a streamlined discussion, its pretty obvious you'd want to stock A and B instead of AB

so yeah:
TL;DR
-we should only merge boards where both demographics are essentially identical
-we should only split boards if there are different demographics that don't get along
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /o/ Rep on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:54 pm

/a/ wrote:so basically what i'm getting at is that its more important to consider the demographics the boards are made for than their topics.

/w/ and /wg/ are similar in topic but the citizens of /w/ probably visit /a/ way more than those of /wg/ do (and while a lot of people from /w/ may visit /wg/ as well, many from /wg/ who may not like anime might not visit /w/ at all)

/vg/ and /v/ probably have pretty similar purposes and demographics, but as /o/ said, people who went on /v/ for general discussion probably get really annoyed when people discuss a specific game on there all the time, and the whole board is filled with nothing they want.

keeping boards separate has some upsides, mainly:
      +people that visit the board for one express purpose don't get bothered by people who
                post other things, while people who visit the board for multiple purposes can
                simply visit both threads.
the downsides, however, are:
      -it clutters the top of the screen,
      -makes it harder for newcomers,
      -splits up fanbases a lot

ANALOGY TIME WITH /A/
(I like analogies)

like blood types, Board A (blood type A) works with demographics (person with blood type) A and AB, but not with demographic B, while Board B works with demographics B and AB. however, board AB only works with demographic AB.

Blood type (Board) A is rejected by body (demographic) B
Blood type (Board) B is rejected by body (demographic) A
Blood type (Board) AB is rejected by bodies (demographics) A and B

because O blood in this case is literally /b/, which isn't desirable for getting a streamlined discussion, its pretty obvious you'd want to stock A and B instead of AB

so yeah:
TL;DR
-we should only merge boards where both demographics are essentially identical
-we should only split boards if there are different demographics that don't get along
That was very well said.
avatar
/o/ Rep

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/o/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:55 pm

part of why 4chan and reddit don't get along is that reddit has user-made boards that focus on incredibly specific things (r/earrumblersassemble: a page for people who enjoy the sound their muscles make in their jaw when they yawn) while 4chan has premade boards with very broad topics (/tv/)

neither is a great solution: the vast number of reddit boards makes discovering a page for you impossible, while 4chan's boards often have infighting

i prefer 4chan because the diversity is refreshing, while reddit is full of small children and pictures of parents with said small children
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:56 pm

/o/ Rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:so basically what i'm getting at is that its more important to consider the demographics the boards are made for than their topics.

/w/ and /wg/ are similar in topic but the citizens of /w/ probably visit /a/ way more than those of /wg/ do (and while a lot of people from /w/ may visit /wg/ as well, many from /wg/ who may not like anime might not visit /w/ at all)

/vg/ and /v/ probably have pretty similar purposes and demographics, but as /o/ said, people who went on /v/ for general discussion probably get really annoyed when people discuss a specific game on there all the time, and the whole board is filled with nothing they want.

keeping boards separate has some upsides, mainly:
      +people that visit the board for one express purpose don't get bothered by people who
                post other things, while people who visit the board for multiple purposes can
                simply visit both threads.
the downsides, however, are:
      -it clutters the top of the screen,
      -makes it harder for newcomers,
      -splits up fanbases a lot

ANALOGY TIME WITH /A/
(I like analogies)

like blood types, Board A (blood type A) works with demographics (person with blood type) A and AB, but not with demographic B, while Board B works with demographics B and AB. however, board AB only works with demographic AB.

Blood type (Board) A is rejected by body (demographic) B
Blood type (Board) B is rejected by body (demographic) A
Blood type (Board) AB is rejected by bodies (demographics) A and B

because O blood in this case is literally /b/, which isn't desirable for getting a streamlined discussion, its pretty obvious you'd want to stock A and B instead of AB

so yeah:
TL;DR
-we should only merge boards where both demographics are essentially identical
-we should only split boards if there are different demographics that don't get along
That was very well said.

thanks!
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:05 am

/a/ wrote:part of why 4chan and reddit don't get along is that reddit has user-made boards that focus on incredibly specific things (r/earrumblersassemble: a page for people who enjoy the sound their muscles make in their jaw when they yawn) while 4chan has premade boards with very broad topics (/tv/)

neither is a great solution: the vast number of reddit boards makes discovering a page for you impossible, while 4chan's  boards often have infighting

i prefer 4chan because the diversity is refreshing, while reddit is full of small children and pictures of parents with said small children

oh also entire pages devoted to rapist/murderers
/b/ has a few of those people, but they're dispersed.
pages of unresponsive bodies, that may or may not be alive. okay reddit, i thought 4chan was supposed to be the weird one.

QED: 4chan>reddit but each has their issues
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /g/entoo on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:50 am

Damn /a/, You running for president ? Sheit was tight. On a serious note I agree with everything you say. We cant make a bijillon boards because people like something very slightly different, eg. Straight-haired girls get one board and Twin-Tailed bitches get another, I just won't work. However I do feel that some more boards do need to be created to sort out some of the problems on 4/chan/.
avatar
/g/entoo

Posts : 21
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /wsg/ on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:24 am

/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Not to be harsh, and I'm sure separating their preferences matters a lot to them, but if we have to deal with seeing furry threads all day, then I think they could survive seeing a little hardcore anime porn mixed in with their softcore anime porn every now and then.

don't get me wrong, i totally think its weird how there are 5 boards entirely dedicated to anime porn while there are only 3 for real-life porn
however, i think that some of them really can't be merged, and it would be pretty unfair to merge ALL of them. /e/ and /h/ could be merged, but /d/ really cant be merged with anything and /u/ and /y/ being merged would be pretty awkward

everyone has their own preferences, and i think those should be respected, but not so much that its way over the other boards.
pic related: (maybe strange but still SFW)

You're the general anime expert, so I'll trust your opinion on this and let you make the judgement call, however I do think that maybe one or two boards could be merged.

i certainly think that /e/ and /h/ can be merged, but think of it this way: softcore and hardcore people can get along, but /d/ is essentially those strange paraphilias that you try to avoid seeing unless its your thing. /u/ and /y/ are lesbian and gay, so the demographics really clash (lesbians and straight men vs gays and straight women)

the most important thing to consider is really the demographics. /e/ and /h/ are pretty much universal to people who like anime porn, but /b/ is specialized and /u/ and /y/ are also specialized in such a way that merging any would invite strife

one way to think of it is like this:
you have 4 boards:
the microsoft board,
the linux board,
the apple board,
and the android board.
someone, at first glance, would say "they're all computer boards, merge 'em" and get confused when they bicker
but in reality, while they're computer boards, they all have very different demographics and only a few could be merged  (android and microsoft or linux)

i think merging /e/ and /h/ would be pretty safe, because the main difference is the presence of a penis in the pictures: /h/ has them, while /e/ doesn't

merging /u/ and the mix /e/h/ would be possible, but its a bit strange saying "hey lesbians, you can come back, but you homosexual men? stay out," so i'd say stick with /u/, /y/, and /d/, while merging /e/ and /h/

Thanks for the analogy there. I'm a computer geek, so I can understand just how bad it would be. Microsoft and Apple would constantly shit on each other (as well as Apple and Android), and Linux would be similar to what furries are like now (a bunch of weirdos).

I'll go with merging /e/ and /h/, but I'm not sure about merging /u/, /y/, and /d/. But then, I don't frequent the anime boards that much, so I don't have a very reliable view.
avatar
/wsg/

Posts : 56
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /g/entoo on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:35 am

/wsg/ wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/a/ wrote:
/soc/ rep wrote:
/wsg/ wrote:
/sp/ found a way wrote:I dont even know what /e/ is, so id be ok with getting rid of that board. On the grounds of fairness and a lack of understanding or knowledge, id have to abstain from that vote. Ive literally never been there and dont know what ecchi or however you spell it even means.

I looked it up, it's basically a term for manga porn.

Because there's a real shortage of manga porn on 4chan.
I think we can afford to either lose a few boards or collectively combine them, somehow. Forgive my ignorance but is it really essential to have a board for every different type of anime porn? Surely we can combine a few of those.

i completely agree, i feel it's redundant, but i feel that theres some sort of logic behind it

people on /e/ hate people on /h/ due to genre differences and don't want to associate with them
people on /h/ hate people on /d/ because they think its weird and don't want to associate with them
people on /u/ (yuri, or lesbian) and /y/ (yaoi, gay) want to be separate due to their preferences
and everyone only wants what they like and nothing else

to be honest i think its all to avoid shitposting "GTFO yurifag, this is a hardcore thread", etc.

Not to be harsh, and I'm sure separating their preferences matters a lot to them, but if we have to deal with seeing furry threads all day, then I think they could survive seeing a little hardcore anime porn mixed in with their softcore anime porn every now and then.

don't get me wrong, i totally think its weird how there are 5 boards entirely dedicated to anime porn while there are only 3 for real-life porn
however, i think that some of them really can't be merged, and it would be pretty unfair to merge ALL of them. /e/ and /h/ could be merged, but /d/ really cant be merged with anything and /u/ and /y/ being merged would be pretty awkward

everyone has their own preferences, and i think those should be respected, but not so much that its way over the other boards.
pic related: (maybe strange but still SFW)

You're the general anime expert, so I'll trust your opinion on this and let you make the judgement call, however I do think that maybe one or two boards could be merged.

i certainly think that /e/ and /h/ can be merged, but think of it this way: softcore and hardcore people can get along, but /d/ is essentially those strange paraphilias that you try to avoid seeing unless its your thing. /u/ and /y/ are lesbian and gay, so the demographics really clash (lesbians and straight men vs gays and straight women)

the most important thing to consider is really the demographics. /e/ and /h/ are pretty much universal to people who like anime porn, but /b/ is specialized and /u/ and /y/ are also specialized in such a way that merging any would invite strife

one way to think of it is like this:
you have 4 boards:
the microsoft board,
the linux board,
the apple board,
and the android board.
someone, at first glance, would say "they're all computer boards, merge 'em" and get confused when they bicker
but in reality, while they're computer boards, they all have very different demographics and only a few could be merged  (android and microsoft or linux)

i think merging /e/ and /h/ would be pretty safe, because the main difference is the presence of a penis in the pictures: /h/ has them, while /e/ doesn't

merging /u/ and the mix /e/h/ would be possible, but its a bit strange saying "hey lesbians, you can come back, but you homosexual men? stay out," so i'd say stick with /u/, /y/, and /d/, while merging /e/ and /h/

Thanks for the analogy there. I'm a computer geek, so I can understand just how bad it would be. Microsoft and Apple would constantly shit on each other (as well as Apple and Android), and Linux would be similar to what furries are like now (a bunch of weirdos).

I'll go with merging /e/ and /h/, but I'm not sure about merging /u/, /y/, and /d/. But then, I don't frequent the anime boards that much, so I don't have a very reliable view.

I'm thinking but I'm unsure, /e/ and /h/ can go together, /u/ and /y/ can go together and /d/ is on it's lonesome.
avatar
/g/entoo

Posts : 21
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /soc/ rep on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:09 am

/a/ wrote:so basically what i'm getting at is that its more important to consider the demographics the boards are made for than their topics.

/w/ and /wg/ are similar in topic but the citizens of /w/ probably visit /a/ way more than those of /wg/ do (and while a lot of people from /w/ may visit /wg/ as well, many from /wg/ who may not like anime might not visit /w/ at all)

/vg/ and /v/ probably have pretty similar purposes and demographics, but as /o/ said, people who went on /v/ for general discussion probably get really annoyed when people discuss a specific game on there all the time, and the whole board is filled with nothing they want.

keeping boards separate has some upsides, mainly:
      +people that visit the board for one express purpose don't get bothered by people who
                post other things, while people who visit the board for multiple purposes can
                simply visit both threads.
the downsides, however, are:
      -it clutters the top of the screen,
      -makes it harder for newcomers,
      -splits up fanbases a lot

ANALOGY TIME WITH /A/
(I like analogies)

like blood types, Board A (blood type A) works with demographics (person with blood type) A and AB, but not with demographic B, while Board B works with demographics B and AB. however, board AB only works with demographic AB.

Blood type (Board) A is rejected by body (demographic) B
Blood type (Board) B is rejected by body (demographic) A
Blood type (Board) AB is rejected by bodies (demographics) A and B

because O blood in this case is literally /b/, which isn't desirable for getting a streamlined discussion, its pretty obvious you'd want to stock A and B instead of AB

so yeah:
TL;DR
-we should only merge boards where both demographics are essentially identical
-we should only split boards if there are different demographics that don't get along

Going to have to abstain, because my knowledge of the various species of anime porn is limited, but I think /a/ can handle this. My vote goes with whatever he's saying to do.
avatar
/soc/ rep

Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile http://boards.4chan.org/soc/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /a/ on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 pm

haha it's starting to seem like i'm some kind of anime-porn connosieur

in all seriousness, the separation of /e/ & /h/ is so incredibly vague (there are pictures blatantly of sex on /e/, even though its against the rules, and there are nonsexual pictures on /h/) that they could probably be merged with minimum friction. hell, theres a running joke on /a/, a sfw board, "i want to cum inside momo-chan" (where momo is a protagonist of a popular series recently).

since im not a frequenter of either boards, i cant really say if theres any anim(e)osity between the two, but i think that combining the two would be safe.

i've discussed why /d/ should stay seperate, and since most of the frequenters of /e/ & /h/ are primarily men, introducing /y/ would be strange.

merging /u/ in would show gender preference when our goal is to mimimize strife while simplifying the boards, but at the same time people who want to look at men shouldnt be on /e/ & /h/, which have rules against pictures solely of men.

at the same time, merging /u/ & /y/ would be strange, because their demographics are not the same at all: the visitors would be on their primarily because they don't want pictures of of men in their pictures of women, or vice versa.

so my opinion in short:
/e/ + /h/ and maybe /u/ if we absolutely need to cut down (would show a gender bias which is bad indeed)
and /d/ and  /y/ stay seperate
avatar
/a/

Posts : 70
Join date : 2014-06-09
Location : New Jersey, USA (its not like The Jersey Shore, trust me)

View user profile http://www.4chan.org/a/

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by /v/ representative on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:31 pm

So what is the current situation with moderation here? It seems like /vr/ has all but abandoned the site so I'm thinking we might have to make a new one and migrate. How long should we wait till then? It's already been one workweek and I'm getting kind of irritated by the lack of him showing his face around here.
avatar
/v/ representative

Posts : 7
Join date : 2014-06-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: general discussion?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum